Sunday 1 April 2012

Conclusion


The sun sets on a friendship in these final moments on 26 December 2007. We had first met in 1973.
_____________________________________________

“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.”
― William Blake


Betrayal is common for men with no conscience. I must, therefore, conclude that Kevin Chesham has no conscience.  Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Do not allow them take that from you. Confucius wisely says: "It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them." I was certainly deceived by Kevin Chesham and Beverley Mason. I would rather my enemy's sword pierce my heart then my friend's dagger stab me in the back. And they stabbed me, my wife and all our mutual acquaintances in that cowardly fashion. A friend is someone who stands by us in times of weakness or need (Proverbs 17: 17). They are there to laugh with us when we are happy and cry with us when we are sad. We may expect danger from all manner of places, but not from a friend. That is why betrayal of this sort is the worst. It is despicable beyond measure. 


One of the best known stories in the Bible is that of Judas and his betrayal of Our Lord who was destined to suffer and die. There was a prophecy that He would be betrayed (Psalm 41: 9). That Judas planned ahead of time is evidenced by his going to the priests seeking the thirty silver coins for his deed (Zechariah 11: 13; Matthew 26: 14,15). It pained Jesus that Judas betrayed Him with a kiss of friendship, recognition and brotherhood (Luke 22: 48). Betrayal by someone who is close and whom you trust is far more painful than if an enemy appeared and brought you harm. Betrayal by a friend is the worst type of betrayal imaginable.


There is no way to God by betraying others. The most shocking aspect of the betrayal my wife and I have suffered at the hands of Kevin and Beverley is their dishonesty; their willingness to lie about everything. The Devil is described, more than anything else, as a liar. He has no power to defeat God, but he is skilled at lying, and convincing people to listen to his lies. The person Kevin and Beverley turned to in order to make their betrayal complete is an arch-deceiver who hates Christians, someone who is an emissary of the Devil.


If I had always followed my better judgement, my life would have been a great deal duller. Yet I do not judge folk if I can help it. I have met and befriended such wonderful people who took actions and held views so very different to my own. I feel it is most important to be true to oneself. That is all we can ask of our friends. Those who are not and aim to deceive I would usually ignore and advise others to do the same. Kevin Chesham and Beverley Mason are a case apart because their actions place others in considerable danger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.