Monday 27 February 2012

Militaria

Militaria


This page provides examples of military memorabilia and associated curios collected and traded for their historical interest. Antique flintlock and percussion pistols do not require certification in England because of their age. Other weapons, eg First and Second World War guns etc, all possessed legal deactivation certificates, as do any remaining in the collection. Militaria is not my first interest as a collector, but it is nonetheless a fascinating one that I refer to here only in the context of parts of my collection being seriously misrepresented by Kevin Chesham whose devious motives for so doing are regrettable in the extreme. 
.












I am a collector of antiques, artifacts, militaria, paintings, religious relics and sundry items from bygone ages. Mostly I collect objects up to and including the Edwardian period. Items from the First World War and Second World War I have kept in a storeroom on display. These include pictures and books. They are traded with a fast turnover. German militaria is by far the most popular and most expensive. There are, however, certain items from World War Two that were given me by folk I knew when I was very young (who brought them back from Europe) on the proviso that I did not sell them on. I shall honour that request.


My Napoleonic militaria and my Byronian artefacts (about which I regularly receive enquiries), including an inherited pair of duelling pistols, I shall not part with under any circumstances. Indeed, it is chiefly militaria from the two world wars that I trade, and much of what I had five years ago has now gone to be replaced with items, including signed original prints from more than a century ago and curiosities under the general heading of Victoriana, which do not linger and are very much in demand. In the interim I did have some American Civil War items come my way, including an unissued military rifle in perfect condition and a selection of Confederate flags.


Some antiques and militaria that belong to the house are not for sale  mostly originating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries with a small number older still. Some of these have been inherited and I regard myself their custodian.



A selection of British Snider-Enfield breech loading rifles. 


The highly efficient German Mauser rifle (currently displayed in a reception room at my house) used in both world wars and barely modified throughout its deployment since 1898 when this version first appeared.


Visitors invariably enjoy the many antiques, collectables, curios and other items about the house.


I have many duelling pistols and antique swords. These I seldom trade. Twentieth century items I will trade along with almost anything that is post-Edwardian unless there is a particular reason not to do so.


I have in the past displayed my twentieth century militaria, largely but not exclusively Second World War, in a place where they could be viewed by visitors for inspection. Most of that modest collection has now been sold. My living quarters are restricted to nineteenth century and earlier material. Books for sale are kept in a bookcase in the room exhibiting collectables and militaria for trade. Some material, eg supernatural titles, are duplicates of those books already held in my private library. The majority of these collectors' items have also now been sold, but new material is always unexpectedly coming my way.





An area of collecting about which I am most enthusiastic is reliquaries and relics (see below).


Relic of Saint Teresa of Avila housed within its silver container.


Reliquary containing Vatican authenticated relic of Saint Teresa of Avila.

Nota Bene:  I do not sell relics, and only accept relics with certification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.